Posted on | April 5, 2012 | No Comments
Last year’s US Open winner Rory McIlroy has explained why he decided to split from his manager Andrew Chandler last year.
The 22-year-old, who has won three tournaments since the parting of the ways and has thus remained one of the better Betfair golf betting tips, has said that at the time he thought his career was being taken in the wrong direction.
McIlroy, who was number one in the world earlier in the year only to be disposed by Luke Donald recently, has admitted that he regretted giving up his PGA Tour card at the end of 2010 and that it was wrong to miss last year’s Players’ Championship at Sawgrass.
McIlroy said: “That’s another example of being involved with Chubby [Chandler] and ISM and maybe being led down the wrong path, or a path that I didn’t want to go down.
“It was something I sort of felt like I had to do.
“Not playing Sawgrass was one of the decisions I look back on and regret a little bit.”
McIlroy, now managed by the Dublin-based Horizon Sports Management, is looking to avoid a repeat of his disaster at Augusta last year, when he takes part in the US Masters later this week.
Twelve months ago, the Ulsterman held a four-shot lead going into the last day of the tournament only to then slip out of contention when shooting an 80 on the final day.
His response was excellent though as, just two months later, he obliterated the rest of the field and held his nerve to emerge victorious at the US Open at Congressional.